Monday, August 25, 2008

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer pages 1-29

I was skeptical of this book from the start. I usually am skeptical of extremely popular things, but at some point I realize that writing something off because large amounts of people adore it, is illogical. Discrediting something just because half the world loves it does not make sense. So, I decided that I would give Twilight a try. I've only read the first chapter, but I have to say, it's already intensely engaging. I've been introduced to whom I think are the main characters and the setting, but that's pretty much it. I wasn't expecting the writing to be very good, I figured it would be somewhere at or below J.K. Rowling's skill level (whom I believe is a fantastic story teller, but not the most amazing writer). Twilight sucked me in though, the writing is very good, and even though nothing has really happened with the plot yet - I'm hooked. Meyer's writing is very descriptive, but not overly so. She makes you interested in the characters, but she keeps things moving as well. I'm not surprised so many people love this book or that it's being made into a movie. The book reads like a screenplay with its attention to description and drama.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.