Monday, September 8, 2008

New Moon by Stephanie Meyer pages 1 - 608

Just like with Twilight, I was nearly obsessed with this book. I wondered what Meyer was going to do with the story next, and I was surprised at where she took it. It was nice to be surprised, (predictable literature is so boring!) but it was frustrating too. In book one, Bella and Edward are hopelessly in love. It's problematic (Edward is a vampire), but they work through it because they love each other so much; it's perfect. In book two Edward up and leaves Bella in the woods and says he's never coming back! So the rest of the book is basically just about how Bella can barely function since he left and then at the end she has to go save his life in Italy. I give Meyer mad props for one thing though - Edward is back now, but I kind of don't like him that much anymore. While Edward was gone Bella found solace in her friend Jacob(who turns into a werewolf abruptly in the middle of their friendship, go figure) and Jacob is ten times more likable than Edward. I had a discussion with one of my co-workers the other day about people who are Jacob fans and people who are Edward fans. She thinks that Edward fans are often younger and still have that Disney instilled dream that one day their prince will come, while on the other hand, Jacob fans realize that no one is perfect and you should settle for the guy who loves you and doesn't drive you crazy. In less words; quarks are endearing and perfection is aggravating. I agree, and I admire Meyer for challenging her readers with a new thought process instead of just shoveling book after book of lovey dovey bliss and perfection out into the market.

No comments: